This flavorful microwaved broccoli with tomatoes and spices adds zip and freshness to the menu while still being fast and easy. Whether you’re grilling out, hosting a dinner party or serving a family meal, this simple side dish recipe will be sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
This microwaved broccoli recipe made with tomatoes and spices is a simple and delicious side dish.
And the absolute best broccoli recipe I have ever tasted!
It is quick and easy to make, colorful, and low in calories…a big favorite in our family for all kinds of meals.
Even people who don’t like broccoli will eat it when it is prepared this way.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures
This recipe makes 4 to 6 servings (depending on how large your portion sizes are).
Here is your shopping list:
- Broccoli – about 1 pound. I usually buy the broccoli already cut up so that it saves me a prep step.
- Oil – 2 Tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- Spices – ¼ teaspoon dried basil, ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Seasoning – 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garlic – 2 cloves fresh garlic
- Tomatoes – I like to use plum tomatoes since they have more meat to them, but any kind of tomato will taste good.
- Frozen broccoli can be used instead of fresh. It just needs to be cooked for a minute or two longer.
- Substitute 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano instead of dried, if you prefer.
- You can use 2 teaspoons of jarred minced garlic instead of the fresh garlic.
- Cherry tomatoes will work instead of larger tomatoes. Cut them in half before cooking them.
How To Make microwaved Broccoli with tomatoes and spices
If you did not buy pre-chopped broccoli, cut it up into florets. Don’t include the bottom part of the stem since it’s usually pretty tough.
Chop the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces.
Mince the garlic.
Steam the broccoli in the microwave
Put the broccoli into a microwave-able dish with a lid.
Pour in about ½ cup of water. The exact amount isn’t that important, but you don’t want the broccoli to be swimming in it. It should just cover the bottom of the dish.
Put the lid on and microwave the broccoli for 5 to 7 minutes. The length of time you cook it may vary depending on the strength of your microwave and how you like your broccoli cooked.
If your broccoli is frozen, add a minute or two to the cooking time.
Make the topping
While the broccoli is cooking, make the tomato and spices topping.
Add the olive oil, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, salt and pepper to a small skillet.
Stir to combine.
Sauté the tomato mixture over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the tomatoes are cooked, about 2 minutes.
When both the tomatoes and broccoli are done, pour the tomato mixture over the broccoli and mix gently.
Serve as a side dish with your favorite meal.
The cooked broccoli dish can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Microwave for 30 to 45 seconds to reheat.
How to make it ahead of time
If I’m serving this broccoli recipe for company, I like to make it fresh.
But you can prepare everything ahead of time:
- Put the cut-up broccoli in the baking dish with water
- Have the cut-up tomatoes, minced garlic and spices ready to go in the frying pan.
- Store them covered in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook them.
Then just cook them as directed above.
Other vegetable dishes you might like
Microwaved broccoli with tomatoes and spices
- microwaveable baking dish
- small skillet
- measuring spoons
- ½ cup water
- 1 pound fresh broccoli trimmed and cut into florets
- 2 Tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 plum tomatoes chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Add the broccoli to a microwave-able baking dish with ½ cup water.
- Cover and microwave for 5 to 7 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano to a small skillet.
- Sauté over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes are cooked, about 2 minutes
- Pour the tomato topping over the broccoli and mix gently.
- Frozen broccoli can be used instead of fresh but you will need to increase the microwave time by a minute or two.
- The recipe tastes best if you use fresh minced garlic, but pre-minced garlic from a jar will work in a pinch.
- The length of time you cook the broccoli will vary depending on the strength of your microwave and how you like your broccoli cooked.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Comments or questions about our microwaved broccoli with tomatoes and spices? Tell us in the section below.
This post was originally published on March 17, 2016 but was updated with new content on March 31, 2023.