This tomato and herb broccoli recipe is a simple and delicious side dish. The flavor of the herbs and tomatoes subtly compliments the broccoli.
It is quick and easy to make, colorful, low in calories, and gluten free…a big favorite in our family.
Even people who don’t like broccoli will eat it when it is prepared this way!
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
- Oil – olive oil or vegetable oil
- Spices – basil, oregano, salt, pepper – The basil and oregano can either be fresh or dried
- Garlic – fresh minced garlic tastes best, but you can use the pre-minced kind that comes in a jar if you prefer
- Tomatoes – I like to use plum tomatoes since they have more meat to them, but any kind of tomato will taste good.
- Broccoli – I usually buy the broccoli already cut up so that it saves me a prep step
Pots and Utensils
- Small skillet
- Medium microwave-able baking dish
How To Make Tomato and Herb Broccoli
Add all of the ingredients (except the broccoli) to the skillet but don’t turn it on yet.
If you did not buy pre-cut broccoli, cut up the broccoli into pieces.
Prepare and cook the broccoli as you normally would.
I microwave it in a small amount of water for 5 minutes on high heat. The length of time you cook it may vary depending on the strength of your microwave and how you like your broccoli cooked.
When the broccoli is almost ready, heat the tomato mixture in the skillet over medium-high heat.
Cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Pour the tomato mixture over the broccoli and mix gently.
Serve hot as a side vegetable.
Tomato and Herb Broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 pound broccoli trimmed and cut into flowerets
- Add all of the ingredients except the broccoli to the skillet. Don’t turn it on yet.
- Prepare and cook the broccoli as you normally would. I microwave it in a small amount of water for 5 minutes on high heat. The length of time you cook it may vary depending on the strength of your microwave and how you like your broccoli cooked.
- Heat the tomato mixture in the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli and mix gently.