With its delicious combination of savory mushrooms, tender zucchini and flavorful onions, this zucchini mushroom stir fry is a tasty side dish that is sure be a hit at your next dinner party or weeknight supper.
When I’m hosting a dinner, I’m always looking for side dishes that are easy to make, taste delicious and look more complicated than they really are.
This zucchini mushroom stir fry recipe fits that description perfectly.
It only takes 10 minutes to make and uses ingredients you probably already have in your refrigerator.
You can also combine it with some rice and our baked basil chicken recipe to turn it into a full meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures
Here is your shopping list:
- Dairy – ¼ cup butter
- Fresh vegetables – 1 large zucchini, 1 cooking onion, 1 8-ounce package mushrooms – I like to buy the already-sliced mushrooms since it saves me some prep time.
- Substitute olive oil for the butter if you prefer. Although I think the butter adds a little more flavor.
- You can use canned mushrooms instead of fresh ones in a pinch
How to stir fry zucchini with mushrooms and onions
Dice the onion.
Chop the zucchini in half length-wise. Then cut them into quarter-inch slices.
If you didn’t buy pre-sliced mushrooms, slice the mushrooms.
Stir fry the vegetables
Melt ¼ cup butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Add in all of the vegetables and stir to combine.
Cook for 7 to 10 minutes until the onions are translucent and the zucchini is soft.
Serve on its own as a side dish.
Or add some of our 15 minute basil chicken breast to make it a main dish.
This zucchini mushroom stir fry can be stored in a covered dish in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Microwave for 30 to 45 seconds to reheat.
Other vegetable recipes you might like
- Lemon garlic grilled asparagus
- Shrimp and snow pea stir fry
- Microwaved broccoli with tomatoes and spices
- Roasted brussels sprouts with cherries
Zucchini mushroom stir fry
- measuring cup
- Large skillet
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 1 large cooking onion diced
- 1 8-ounce package of sliced mushrooms
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped zucchini, diced onions and sliced mushrooms.
- Saute for 7 to 10 minutes until the onions are translucent and the zucchini is tender.
- Substitute canned mushrooms for fresh mushrooms if that’s what you have on hand.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Have comments or questions about our zucchini mushroom stir fry? Tell us in the section below.
This post was originally published on November 26, 2015 but was updated with new content on December 17, 2023.