This lemon garlic grilled asparagus recipe is a delicious and easy cookout recipe that is always a hit at my annual 4th of July BBQ. But it also tastes great when you make it in the oven, so it’s perfect for indoor parties, too!
In the summer, I love to cook out.
Cooking food on the grill means there’s fewer pots to wash, the house doesn’t get so hot and everything just seems to taste better!
One issue I always seem to have is finding good, easy recipes for grilled vegetables. It kind of defeats the purpose if I have to be running into the house to cook veggies on the stove.
Which is why I love this grilled asparagus recipe! Marinated in a lemon garlic sauce, it tastes great and it’s really easy to make.
Every time I serve it, people are always coming back for more (and it’s usually the first thing to get gone…very unusual for a vegetable around here!)
Even better? It’s also really easy to make in the oven…so you can make it even if the weather isn’t that great. (It’s always a hit on my Super Bowl buffet, too!)
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures
Fortunately, this dish is made with only a few ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen:
- asparagus (obviously) – 1 to 2 pounds. If you are grilling them, larger asparagus work best.
- olive oil – 3 Tablespoons
- lemon – 1 large
- garlic – 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- seasoning – 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Here’s what you’ll need to make lemon garlic grilled asparagus:
- baking dish that’s large enough for the asparagus to lie flat in
- measuring spoons
- spoon or whisk for mixing
- tongs or two spoons for tossing the asparagus
- grill basket* (for cooking on the grill)
How to make lemon garlic grilled asparagus
Remove the tough ends from the asparagus. I break them off by hand, but you could also cut them.
Mince two cloves of garlic.
Juice half of the lemon. You’ll need 2 Tablespoons of juice.
Turn on the grill or pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
Make the marinade
The first step is to find a baking dish that’s large enough for the asparagus to lay flat. I usually use a 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish.
Then make the marinade in that dish by combining 3 Tablespoons olive oil, 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice, two cloves of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Add the asparagus to your dish with the marinade and use tongs to toss them until they are well coated.
Cook the asparagus
Move the asparagus to your grill basket (if you are grilling).
If you are making them in the oven, spread the asparagus out on a cookie sheet.
It is also possible to leave them in the glass dish if you don’t have too many. For even cooking, they shouldn’t be stacked more than a couple deep.
Grill for about 10 minutes over medium heat, or cook in the oven for about 15 minutes at 400ºF.
These cooking times should result in asparagus that is still a little crispy. If you like them softer, cook for a few more minutes.
Other recipes you might like
On the grill
- Lemon chicken shish kabobs
- Grilled pesto turkey burgers
- How to grill perfect rotisserie chicken
- Grilled chicken garden salad
- Microwaved broccoli with tomatoes and spices
- Brussels sprouts with cherries
- Zucchini mushroom stir fry
Lemon Garlic Grilled Asparagus
- 9" x 13" baking dish
- measuring cups and spoons
- grill basket (if grilling)
- baking sheet (if baking in the oven)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice about half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 to 2 pounds asparagus ends trimmed
- Mix all of the ingredients except for the asparagus in a baking dish.
- Add the asparagus to the marinade and toss to coat with the olive oil mixture.
To Cook On The Grill
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Spread the asparagus out in a single layer in a grill basket.
- Grill over medium flame for about 10 minutes, turning once half way through.
To Cook In The Oven
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the baking dish or on a baking sheet.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Comments or questions about Grilled Asparagus? Tell us in the section below.
Pin It So You Don't Forget It!
This post was originally published on June 2, 2016 but was updated with new content on March 31, 2023.