This chicken piccata with mushrooms dish is not the traditional version since it does not use breaded chicken. However, it still has the same great flavor and the mushrooms are an added bonus.
Chicken Piccata with Mushrooms
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
- ¼ cup white wine or chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms canned or fresh
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons capers
How To Put It Together
- In the mixing bowl, combine the wine, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, lemon rind, lemon juice, thyme, black pepper, garlic and mustard.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer in the glass baking dish.
- Pour the marinade mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and marinate for 20 minutes, turning it once.
- In the meantime, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in the frying pan on medium heat.
- Saute the mushrooms until brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a plate.
- Once the chicken has finished marinating, add it to the frying pan. Don't discard the marinade.
- Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to the plate that the mushrooms are on.
- Add chicken stock and the marinade to the frying pan.
- Stir, scraping up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the butter to the frying pan.
- Stir until melted.
- Add the capers.
- Return the mushrooms and chicken to the frying pan.
- Cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
Serve the chicken covered with mushrooms and pour some of the sauce over the top. It works very well over rice which soaks up the flavor from the sauce.
Comments or questions about Chicken Piccata with Mushrooms? Tell us in the section below.
This post was originally published on January 21, 2016 but was updated with new content on April 20, 2022.