There’s something so refreshing about salads in the summer. This mixed greens (or spinach) salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette is made with all the fresh summer berries – strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Topped with some goat cheese, blue cheese or feta cheese and homemade balsamic vinaigrette, this salad recipe is always a hit at my summer cookouts.
This berry salad with balsamic vinaigrette combines lettuce, summer berries and crumbled cheese to create a light and refreshing dish that is perfect for a summer dinner or cook out.
The tang of balsamic vinaigrette dressing is the perfect complement for the sweet berries, and the cheese adds some creaminess to the texture.
I like to add some walnuts or pecans as well, which finishes it off with a little crunch.
It’s been a hit at my 4th of July parties for years!
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
This recipe makes enough for 4 meal-sized servings or 8 appetizer servings.
Here is your shopping list:
For the salad
- Lettuce: 8 cups of mixed greens. You can also use spinach, or any type of lettuce that you prefer.
- Berries: 1 cup strawberries, ½ cup blueberries, ½ cup raspberries.
- Cheese: 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese, blue cheese or feta cheese.
- Nuts: (optional) ½ cup walnuts or pecans
For the dressing
This makes more than you’ll need for one salad.
- Oil: 1 cup olive oil
- Vinegar: 4½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Garlic: 1 clove. I think fresh garlic tastes best. If you’re in a hurry, you can also use 2 teaspoons of the jarred pre-minced kind.
- Spices: 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Seasoning: 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Although I usually use all 3 berries in my salad, you can make it with only one or two of them if that’s what you have on hand. Or add other types of small fruit like blackberries or pomegranate arils.
- You can use dried parsley or basil instead of the oregano if that’s what you have on hand.
- Add grilled chicken or shrimp for some extra protein.
- If you don’t want to make your own dressing, you can use store-bought balsamic vinaigrette or Italian dressing.
Strawberry Huller*: This makes removing the leaves from the strawberry so much easier.
How to make strawberry blueberry salad
Wash the lettuce and berries.
Remove the leaves from the strawberries.
A strawberry huller* makes this job a lot easier! To use it:
- Press the green button at the top of the huller to open the blades at the bottom.
- Push the blades into the top of the strawberry around the leaves.
- Let go of the green button and pull the leaves out while twisting the huller.
Then slice the strawberries to make them easier to eat.
Mince the garlic.
Chop the nuts if you are using them.
Make the dressing
Add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, oregano, salt and pepper to a lidded jar or container (mason jars work well).
Then shake well.
The recipe makes quite a bit more dressing than you’ll need for one salad, so you can refrigerate the rest to use at a later date.
It will store in the fridge for up to a month.
Make the salad
Add the lettuce (or spinach), strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, nuts (if using) and cheese to a large bowl.
Just before serving, toss the salad with enough homemade balsamic vinaigrette to coat the lettuce.
Or serve the vinaigrette on the side so your guests can choose how much they want.
Other salad recipes you might like
Strawberry Blueberry Salad with Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 mason jar
- 1 large bowl
- 1 strawberry huller optional
- measuring cups and spoons
- 8 cups Mixed salad greens
- 1 cup Strawberries washed
- ½ cup Blueberries washed
- ½ cup Raspberries washed
- 4 oz Crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese
- ½ cup Chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add the salad greens to the salad bowl.
- Remove the leaves from the strawberries and cut them in thirds.
- Add the chopped strawberries, blueberries and raspberries to the bowl.
- Add the crumbled goat or blue cheese to the salad.
- If you want to use nuts, chop the walnuts and pecans and add them to the salad as well.
- Toss with 2 to 3 Tablespoons vinaigrette dressing (see below for the recipe).
- Add all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette to a mason jar.
- Put on the lid and shake well.
- Although the recipe calls for 3 different types of berries, you can serve it with only one or two of them. Or change the amount of each berry that you use. The salad is very forgiving.
- If you eat a lot of strawberries, consider getting a strawberry huller. They’re very inexpensive and make hulling easy!
- This recipe makes more vinaigrette than you will need for one salad…you can store it in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Have comments or questions about our berry salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette? Tell us in the section below.
Pin It So You Don't Forget It!
This post was originally published on June 9, 2016 but was updated with new content on July 13, 2022.