These lemon ginger wings are very easy to prepare, don’t take long to cook and taste great!
And since they can be left to marinate over night, they are great when you are cooking for a crowd.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Here’s your shopping list:
- Chicken wings – I like to buy them already separated at the joint, but whole wings will work, too.
- Lemons – you’ll need both the juice and the rind, so you may want to buy organic if you’re concerned about too much pesticide on the skins
- Garlic – I like the taste of minced fresh garlic better than the pre-minced variety that comes in a jar (although it will work in a pinch).
- Ginger – Fresh ginger works best, but you can substitute 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- Sauces – Oyster sauce, Hoisin sauce, and soy sauce are all used in this recipe. For a gluten-free version, you can substitute Tamarind sauce or coco aminos for the soy sauce
- Hot sauce – I like to use Tabasco, but you can use your favorite variety.
- Oil – Sesame oil gives the best flavor, but if you don’t have any, vegetable oil or olive oil will work also.
- small mixing bowl for making the sauce
- whisk or spoon for mixing the ingredients
- ziploc bag that’s large enough to hold all of the wings
- cookie sheet
How To Make Lemon Ginger Chicken Wings
The reason I love this wings recipe is because it’s a “put everything in a bowl and mix” recipe…which is all you do to make the marinade.
Put the wings in a ziploc bag, pour the marinade over and refrigerate for at least an hour (and up to 24 hours). That’s it for the prep!
To make sure that all of the wings are coated, flip the bag over a few times to evenly distribute the marinade before you put it in the fridge.
If you’re marinating for a longer period of time, flip the bag over once in a while in the refrigerator to re-distribute the excess marinade.
When you’re ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 375F.
Spread the wings on a cookie sheet skin side up.
Bake for about 45 minutes.
To make the skin extra-crispy, turn on the broiler and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
Then you’re ready to serve!
Lemon Ginger Wings
- 2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon lemon rind
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 pounds chicken wings
Marinating the Wings
- In the bowl, mix all of the ingredients except for the wings.
- Add the wings to a ziploc bag.
- Pour the sauce into the bag.
- Close the bag and turn multiple times so that the wings are coated with the marinade.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
Cooking the Wings
- Preheat the oven to 375 ºF.
- Spread the wings out on a cookie sheet, skin side up. You might want to line it with foil to make it easier to clean.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- If you want extra-crispy skin, turn the broiler on and cook for about 5 minutes.
Comments or questions on our lemon ginger wings? Tell us in the section below.
This post was originally published on August 4, 2016 but was updated with new content on February 20, 2021.