Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (the easy way)
In our family we make these bacon grilled cheese sandwiches when we have been too busy or are too exhausted to cook a meal.
We don’t have them often but whenever someone says, “How about grilled cheese and bacon?”, an enthusiastic “YES!” is always guaranteed.
They are a delicious alternative to standard grilled cheese sandwiches and are as quick and easy to make.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Here’s the shopping list for this grilled cheese and bacon sandwich recipe:
- sliced bread
- cheese – I usually use cheddar. This works with other types of cheese as well, but I don’t like them nearly as much with pre-sliced processed cheese.
- sliced bacon – try to find some that has more meat and less fat to keep the sandwiches from being too greasy
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following supplies:
- cookie sheet
How To Make Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Spread out the slices of bread on a cookie sheet.
Then cut thin slices of cheese.
Spread the cheese over the sliced bread so that most of the bread is covered.
Cut the bacon into 1 inch pieces.
Then spread the bacon out over the cheese.
I usually use 2 slices of bacon per slice of bread. Don’t worry if they overlap. They will shrink up when they’re in the oven.
Position the rack in the oven so that it is close to the top.
Turn the oven broiler on.
Cook the grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches for about 5 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked.
You do need to watch these as they’re cooking since they will burn easily if left too long.
Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Baking sheet
- 1 slice bread
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 ounces Cheddar cheese
- Position the oven rack close to the top.
- Turn on the broiler
- Put the slice of bread onto a cookie sheet.
- Slice the cheddar thinly.
- Cover the bread slice with a layer of cheddar cheese.
- Cut the bacon strips into 1” pieces.
- Add the bacon to the top of the cheese in a single overlapping layer. I use about one slice of bacon per slice of bread.
- Broil until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted, approximately 5 minutes. Watch them closely because there is just a minute between done and charred.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Have comments or questions about Grilled Cheese and Bacon? Tell us in the comments below.
This post was originally published on June 6, 2019 but was updated with new content on July 13, 2022.
Is the broiler on high or low setting?
The low setting works a little better (although either is fine). On high, by the time the bacon has cooked, the cheese gets a little crispy around the edges.