This mandarin orange romaine salad recipe comes from my sister, Elaine, and is my type of salad…it is easy and delicious, and makes a refreshing change from Caesar salad.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures
Mandarin Orange Romaine Salad
- Sliced almonds
- White sugar optional
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 2-3 green onions sliced or 1 shallot diced
- 1 tin Mandarin oranges drained
- ½ cup pure sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- Roast the almonds in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Stir often until the nuts begin to brown, about 2 - 3 minutes. Watch them closely because they will char easily.
- Sprinkle with sugar if you wish.
- Cut the romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces and add to the salad bowl.
- Add the celery, onions, oranges and almonds.
- To make the salad dressing, combine all of the salad dressing ingredients in the jar. Shake well. The dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Serve the salad with the dressing.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Comments or questions on Mandarin Orange Romaine Salad? Tell us in the section below.
This post was originally published on October 22, 2015 but was updated with new content on November 4, 2022.