Chocolate And Caramel Rolo Brownies
What’s not to love about chocolate and caramel together? Combine them in some brownies and you’ve got a dessert that is sure to please everyone. Even better? This rolo brownies recipe is super easy to make and oh so delicious. You’ll be glad you tried them!
Do you love chocolate and caramel as much as I do?
If so, this brownie recipe made with Rolo candy is about to become your new favorite dessert.
It combines the chewy, fudge-y deliciousness of brownies with the gooey goodness of Rolos. What could possibly be better?
Plus it’s super easy to make. And can be done ahead of time.
The perfect dessert recipe for a party, cookout or potluck dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Here is your shopping list:
- dairy – 1 stick (½ cup or 4 ounces) salted butter
- eggs – 3 large eggs
- chocolate – 4.5 ounces good quality dark chocolate, ¼ cup cocoa powder, 1½ cups Rolo chocolates
- sugar– 1 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
- flavoring – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- If using unsalted butter, add ½ teaspoon of salt with the flour and cocoa powder.
- You can substitute an equal amount of white sugar for the brown sugar, or use a half and half mixture of both. The brownies will be less chewy if white sugar is used.
How to make Rolo Brownies
This recipe makes 16 mini-brownies or 9 large-sized ones.
Preheat the oven to 320℉.
Line a 9-inch square baking tin with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
I prefer using parchment paper because you can cut the brownies without scratching the bottom of the pan.
Chop the butter into half-inch slices. This will make it melt more evenly.
Melt the chocolate
To melt on the stove:
- Place the butter and dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Fill a small saucepan approximately ¼ full with water, and bring to a simmer over a low heat.
- Sit the bowl with the chocolate over the saucepan and stir until the butter and chocolate have melted.
- Remove from the heat.
To melt in the microwave:
- Place the butter and dark chocolate in a microwave-able bowl.
- Microwave on low power for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and stir.
- Microwave on low power for another 30 seconds and stir.
- Repeat this process until the butter and chocolate are completely melted.
- Do not try to speed up this process but heating on higher power or for longer amounts of time. The chocolate goes from melted to burnt very quickly in the microwave.
Mix the wet ingredients
Pour the melted chocolate mixture in to a mixing bowl.
Add the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
Mix until well combined.
Stir in the dry ingredients
Add the flour and cocoa powder to the bowl.
Stir until just combined.
Don’t over-mix to prevent the brownies from turning out tough.
Fold in 1 cup of the Rolo chocolates.
Bake the brownies
Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin.
Top with the remaining ½ cup of Rolo chocolates.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the tin before slicing.
To serve the brownies, cut around the outside edge of the pan.
Then cut 3 equally-spaced lines in each direction to create 16 mini-brownie squares.
Or if you like bigger brownies, cut 2 equally-spaced lines in each direction to create 9 squares.
Store these brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
These brownies are also suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container or zip lock bag for up to 3 months. Defrost brownies at room temperature before eating.
Other chocolate dessert recipes you might like
- White chocolate raspberry brownies
- Chocolate, caramel and pecan turtle fudge
- Healthy homemade turtles
- Best ever chocolate cupcakes
- 1 heat-proof bowl
- 1 Sauce pan
- 1 mixer and mixing bowl
- 1 9" square baking tin
- parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray
- mixing spoon
- ½ cup salted butter cut into ½-inch slices
- 4.5 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups Rolo chocolates divided
- Preheat the oven to320°F.
- Line a 9-inch square baking tin with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the butter and dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Fill a small saucepan approximately ¼ full with water. Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Sit the bowl with the chocolate over the saucepan and stir until the butter and chocolate have melted. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl, and mix until well-combined.
- Stir the flour and cocoa powder into the mixture just until combined.
- Fold in 1 cup of the Rolo chocolates.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Top with the remaining ½ cup of Rolo chocolates.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely in the tin.
- Cut into 16 squares for mini-brownies, or 9 squares for larger ones.
- You can substitute white sugar for brown sugar if desired. However, the brownies will be a little less chewy.
- The chocolate and butter combination can also be melted in the microwave. To do this, heat for 30-second intervals on low power, stirring in between each one until the two have melted.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Have comments or questions about our Rolo brownies recipe? Tell us in the section below.
This post was originally published on September 15, 2022 but was updated with new content on February 20, 2023.