How to Make A Mojito Mocktail
In the summer, I am always looking for drinks that are cold and refreshing.
One of my favorites are Mojitos…traditionally a Cuban drink made from rum, lime, mint and cane sugar.
However, since I’m often looking for a non-alcoholic drink that still feels like summer, I came up with this virgin Mojito recipe. Which can easily be converted to a regular Mojito by adding white rum.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Here’s your shopping list for a virgin Mojito:
- Limes – Juicing fresh limes tastes best, but pre-made lime juice can work in a pinch
- Fresh mint – Spearmint gives the strongest mint flavor. If you use other varieties, you may need to use more leaves to get the taste you are going for.
- Honey – you can also use a traditional simple syrup, but I actually like the taste of the honey and I usually have it in the cupboard
- Sparkling water – I use club soda, but any type of sparkling water would work. (Not tonic water since it has a more bitter flavor)
- (optional) white rum – of course, if you prefer the non-virgin version of a Mojito, you can add an ounce of white rum.
- (optional) juicer – for juicing the lemons
- measuring spoon
- muddler* – this is a special drink making tool that is specially made for crushing leaves to bring out the flavor. If you don’t have one (and don’t want to buy one), you can use the back of a spoon to do the same thing. It doesn’t work quite as well, but sometimes you have to make do 🙂
- tall glass
How To Make A Virgin Mojito
The trick to making a good Mojito is the muddling.
Start by putting the honey, lime juice and mint leaves in a tall glass.
Then get out your muddler and push down on the leaves a few times until they are bruised (they should turn a darker green color).
Next, throw in a couple of slices of lime and repeat the muddling process with the limes.
Add some ice and fill the glass with sparkling water.
And you’re ready to enjoy!
- 7 or 8 mint leaves
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 or 2 limes
- club soda
- Add the mint leaves and honey to a tall glass.
- Squeeze 2 Tablespoons of lime juice from the limes and add it to the glass.
- Use a muddler or wooden spoon to gently crush the mint leaves while you mix the ingredients.
- Add a couple of slices of lime into the mix and muddle them as well.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Fill the glass with club soda.
- Garnish with a lime slice and a couple of mint leaves. Because of the leaves, it is easiest to drink with a straw.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Have comments or questions on our Mojito Mocktail recipe? Tell us in the section below.
This post was originally published on July 14, 2016 but was updated with new content on August 27, 2021.