Nachos are a great dish for sharing while watching the game, or as finger food on the buffet, or even as part of a meal.
I often find that the nachos served in restaurants have too many chips and not enough toppings, or too many of the toppings I don’t want.
The bonus of making nachos at home is you can put exactly the toppings you want on them in whatever quantities you want.
And if you’re making it for a party, most of the steps can be done the day before so there will be less for you to do on the day of the celebration.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Here is your shopping list for our easy nachos recipe:
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- fresh garlic
- spices – taco seasoning, red pepper flakes. If you prefer to make your own taco seasoning, you’ll need oregano, cumin and chili powder.
- (optional) jalapeno pepper
- meat – ground beef, chicken or turkey
- salsa – You can either buy it pre-made in a jar or make your own. See the recipe below if you want to make your own.
- shredded cheese – I like to use cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack.
- jalapeno peppers
- sour cream
- re-fried beans
- guacamole – either store-bought or make your own with our guacamole recipe
- any other topping you feel like putting on your nachos
To make your own salsa, you’ll need the following:
- green pepper
- jalapeno pepper
- fresh garlic
- fresh cilantro – While it is possible to make salsa with dried cilantro, it tastes soooo much better with fresh.
How To Make Nachos
Make The Salsa
If you are making your own salsa, start with that first. It tastes better if it’s allowed to sit for a while, so making it up to a day in advance is a good idea.
To make the salsa, combine all of the ingredients together, cover and refrigerate.
Cook The Meat
Next make the ground beef.
To do this, saute the garlic and onion in a pan with some vegetable oil.
When they are soft, add in the spices and the jalapeno pepper (if you are using it).
Cook for a couple more minutes.
Then add the ground beef and cook until it is completely brown.
The meat can also be made up to a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Make The Nachos
To make the nachos, start by spreading a single layer of tortillas on a plate.
They add a layer of ground beef and grated cheese.
Put some more tortillas on top of the first layer.
And add another layer of ground beef and cheese.
Heat the plate in the microwave until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
Then add the salsa and all of the other toppings to complete the dish.
How To Serve Nachos For A Crowd
If you are making nachos for game day or some other event, the easiest way to serve them is to have people make their own.
Here’s what I do:
- Pour the tortillas into a large bowl
- Put the nacho meat into a crockpot or hot plate and turn it on. If you’ve made the meat the day before, you can put it into the crock pot a couple of hours before the party starts. Turn it on to low heat and leave it be. The meat should be warm by the time your guests arrive.
- Use this crock pot cheese dip instead of grated cheese.
- Put out bowls with all of the other toppings.
Then give people plates and let them make their own nacho creations. I do this all the time for my annual Super Bowl party and everyone loves it…and it’s way less work for you.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Tortilla chips
Nacho Meat Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cooking onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp of taco seasoning store bought, or make your own with the recipe below
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 green chile pepper (such as a jalapeno pepper) finely chopped (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef or chicken or turkey
Nacho Topping Ingredients
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced jalapeno peppers
- re-fried beans
- sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 large tomatoes diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 fresh chile pepper (such as a jalapeno pepper) finely chopped (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp cooking onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
How To Make Nacho Meat
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Saute the chopped onion and garlic until soft, 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add the taco seasonings, pepper flakes and chile pepper (if using).
- Stir until the seasonings are well mixed in with the onions.
- Add the ground meat and cook until browned all the way through, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes.
How To Put Together Easy Nachos
- Spread a single layer of tortilla chips on a plate.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese along with the ground meat over the chips. You can also include other toppings that can be heated (such as re-fried beans)
- Spread another layer of tortilla chips on top.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and ground meat over the top.
- Heat the plate in the microwave until the cheese is melted (about 2 minutes).
- Add the salsa and other toppings over the top.
How To Make Taco Seasoning
- Combine the chili powder, oregano and cumin in a small bowl.
How To Make Salsa
- Combine all of the salsa ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Have comments or questions about Easy Nachos? Tell us in the section below.