Looking for a way to make your hot cocoa even more delicious? Then these DIY hot chocolate stirring spoons for you! Dipped in chocolate, and covered with crushed candy canes, mini marshmallows or sprinkles, they’re easy to make and add a fun touch to your drink.
There’s nothing more comforting on a cold winter day than a cup of homemade hot chocolate.
So it’s hard to believe there’s a way to make hot cocoa even better.
But I’m here to tell you that these chocolate dipped stirring spoons do!
They’re super easy to make, look really pretty on a serving tray, and add more creamy chocolate (plus the candy cane or marshmallow flavor) to your drink.
Ingredients and Materials
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures
Here’s your shopping list:
- 8 disposable wooden spoons – I used the spoons from this buffalo plaid cutlery set*.
- chocolate – 1 package milk chocolate melting candies
- garnishes – Mini marshmallows, Christmas sprinkles, candy canes
How to make hot chocolate spoons
Use a rolling pin to crush some candy canes. To do make this easier, I like to put them in a ziploc bag.
Melt the chocolate
Pour half of the the chocolate melting candies into a microwave-able bowl.
Microwave on medium-low power for 45 seconds.
Then remove from the microwave and stir.
Repeat the microwave-and-stir process as many times as necessary to melt the chocolate.
Don’t be tempted to increase the time or the temperature since they burn very easily.
Also, they may look like they’re not melted on the top when they are quite soft underneath. So the stirring process is important.
Dip the spoons in chocolate
Dip the end of each spoon in the melted chocolate so that it is coated on both sides.
Lay them on a plate.
Place the plate in the freezer for 10 minutes until hardened.
Just before removing the plate from the freezer, melt the other half of the chocolate candies.
Dip the end of each spoon in chocolate once more.
Let set for almost a minute to give the chocolate time to harden a little.
Then top with sprinkles, crushed candy canes or mini marshmallows.
Place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
Then they are ready to use.
How to use hot chocolate spoons
To use, simply make cups of hot chocolate and stir with your chocolate-dipped spoons.
The heat from the drink will melt the chocolate and garnishes adding even more chocolate-y goodness to your hot cocoa.
These also look really pretty on a hot chocolate charcuterie board or hot cocoa bar.
These DIY hot chocolate dunking spoons can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Or frozen in the freezer for up to a month.
Other hot drink recipes you might like
DIY Hot Chocolate Stirring Spoons
- 1 rolling pin for crushing the candy canes
- 1 small microwave-able bowl
- 1 plate
- 8 disposable wooden spoons
- 8 oz chocolate candy melts
- 1 or 2 candy canes crushed
- mini marshmallows
- Christmas sprinkles
- Melt the chocolate candy melts on medium-low power in the microwave until smooth.
- Dip the end of each spoon in your melted chocolate.
- Lay on a plate.
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes until hardened.
- Dip the end of each spoon in chocolate once more.
- Let set for almost a minute. Then top with crushed candy canes, sprinkles or marshmallows.
- Chill in the refrigerator for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with a mug of hot cocoa.
- To melt chocolate in the microwave, heat on medium-low power for 45 seconds. Then stir. Repeat this heat-and-stir process until the chocolate is all melted.
- These chocolate dipped spoons can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or frozen in the freezer for up to a month.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.