Macaroni and Cheese made in a crock pot is fast and easy…and it can be made ahead of time (which always makes getting ready for dinner easier).
Crock Pot Macaroni And Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
Macaroni and Cheese made in a crock pot is fast and easy...and it can be made ahead of time (which always makes getting ready for dinner easier).
- 4 tablespoons 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 drops of Tabasco
- 2 lbs finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese about 6 cups
- 1 16- oz package of elbow macaroni or any other small pasta
- In the 3-quart saucepan, cook the macaroni to slightly less than al dente (usually a little shorter than the time in the instructions on the package).
- Drain and keep to the side.
- In the 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter in the saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and milk in alternate batches
- Bring the sauce to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Add the tabasco.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add half the cheese (about 3 cups) to the sauce and stir it to melt.
- Stir the macaroni into the cheese mixture.
- Pour half of the macaroni and cheese sauce in the crock pot.
- Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese over the macaroni.
- Pour the rest of the macaroni and cheese sauce into the crock pot.
- Sprinkle the rest of the remaining grated cheese over the top.
- You can store in the refrigerator or freeze at this point. If you freeze it, take it out of the freezer the night before so that it thaws before you cook it.
- To cook, cover the crock pot and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
This can be left in the crock pot on the "warm" setting for 2 - 3 hours after cooking and still be tasty.
Pots and Utensils: 3 Quart Saucepan (large enough to cook the box of pasta) 4 Quart Saucepan (large enough to hold 5 cups of liquid with room for stirring) 1 Slow-cooker liner 6 Quart Crock Pot
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!