Now that fall has rolled around, it is the perfect time to think of soups. Nothing could be easier than this Cauliflower Soup recipe from the book Fit For Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. And it’s made even better by using in-season produce. You will particularly love it if you are a vegetarian.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 6 scallions
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium cauliflower
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder optional
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried savory or marjoram
- 6 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons white miso or vegetable bouillon (white miso keeps the soups light colored but I used brown rice miso because that is what I had on hand. Therefore the soup is a little darker)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg optional
Pots and Utensils
- 1 cutting board
- 1 heavy soup pot
- 1 blender
- Chop the onion, scallions, celery and cauliflower.
- In the soup kettle, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and wait a few seconds for it to heat up.
- Add the onion, scallions, and garlic.
- Cook until transparent and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the celery, cauliflower, and seasonings.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water and miso.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 15 min.
- Remove the lid and let the soup cool slightly.
- Pour a portion of the soup into the blender. Puree until smooth.
- Repeat with additional portions until all of the soup has been pureed.
- Pour the soup back into the soup kettle and reheat.
- Add nutmeg if desired.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Have comments or questions about Cauliflower Soup? Tell us in the section below.
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures
This post was originally published on October 5, 2016 but was updated with new content on July 4, 2023.