I don’t usually go all out with heart decor for Valentine’s Day but I do usually have a dinner of some kind…even if it’s just a get together with friends. So I’m always on the look out for easy ways to make the table feel like Valentine’s Day without being too much. One of my favorite ways to do this is with napkin folding. It’s easy to do (if you know the steps) and it’s free!
Click Next to see how to make a folded napkin envelope (and a DIY place card).
Folding the Napkin
This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission if you buy the products from these links (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. But we only recommend products we would use ourselves. For more information, click here to see our disclosures.
1. Lay the napkin out on an angle. If it has a pattern in the corner (like this one), make sure that it is at the top. Ironing the napkin first will give you a crisper look (I didn’t do this as you can tell…I avoid ironing at all costs!)
2. Fold the bottom corner up so that it’s about 1/2″ below the corner of the top corner.
3. Fold one of the bottom corners in, about half way across the bottom of the napkin.
4. Fold the other bottom corner to meet the first corner, about half way across. Make sure that the top corners are even (that’s more important than where the corners meet on the bottom).
5. Fold one side of the napkin in to the middle again.
6. Fold the other side in to meet the first half. Make sure that the corners meet in the middle.
7. Fold the bottom of the napkin up to just below the corners at the top of the napkin.
8. Fold the flap over the top of the napkin.
The Folded Napkin
The envelope is a pretty addition to the plate.
I really like the way it looks with my white and blue plates…yes, I know…these aren’t really traditional Valentine’s Day colors. (You can see a more traditional Valentine’s Day table setting HERE).
And an envelope isn’t really specific to Valentine’s Day either.
The great thing about these envelopes is that you can actually put cards in them. So you could add an unexpected Valentine’s Day surprise to the table…or use them for place cards (which is what I did).
The Valentine’s Day Place Card
These Valentine’s Day place cards are really easy to make, and add the little bit of Valentine’s Day that I want.
And they help your guests figure out where they are supposed to sit.
What You Need
Cut a heart from the pink rhinestone ribbon. Then cut a piece of construction paper that is a little bigger than the heart.
Use the glue stick to stick the ribbon onto the construction paper.
Then use the sharpie marker to write your guests’ names on the construction paper.
You can place the card under the envelope flap for more of a hidden surprise.
You could leave the flap open if you want to be able to see the full card.
Or you could just go with the card in the envelope. Either way you have an easy and inexpensive place card…to go with your easy envelope folded napkin.
Shop The Table:
Have comments or questions about Easy (and Free!) Valentine’s Day Table Decor: Folded Napkin Envelope? Tell us in the section below.
This post was originally published on January 27, 2017 but was updated with new content on July 13, 2022.